- Type: Appointed by the Scoutmaster
- Term: 1 year
- Reports to: Scoutmaster and Den Leader
- Description: The Den Chief works with the Cub Scouts, Webelos Scouts, and Den Leaders in the Cub Scout pack
- Comments: The Den Chief provides a knowledge of games and Scout skills that many Den Leaders lack. The Den Chief is also a recruiter for the Troop. This function is important because no Troop can thrive without new members and most new members will come from Cub Scouting.
- Age: 13 or older
- Rank: First Class or higher
- Experience: none
- Attendance: 75% over previous 6 months
- Training: You must attend the Troop Junior Leader Training even if you have attended in the past
- Attendance: You are expected to attend 75% of all Troop meetings, Patrol Leaders' Council meetings, outings, and service projects. If your attendance is low, or if you have three (3) unexcused absences in a row, you can be removed from office.
- In terms of attendance with your den, you are expected to attend 90% of den meetings and pack functions. You must inform the Den Leader if you will be absent.
- Effort: You are expected to give this job your best effort
- Uniform: Set the example by wearing your uniform correctly. This means that you will wear all of the parts of the Troop uniform, shirttail tucked in, with all required badges in their correct locations.
- Behavior: Set the example by living the Scout Oath and Law in your everyday life. Show Scout Spirit in everything you say and do.
- Attendance: Set the example by being an active Scout. Be on-time for meetings and activities. You must call the Senior Patrol Leader or Scoutmaster if you are not going to be at a meeting or if you suddenly have to miss an outing. You also need to make sure that someone will assume your responsibilities.
- Knows the purposes of Cub Scouting
- Helps Cub Scouts advance through Cub Scout ranks
- Encourages Cub Scouts to join a Boy Scout Troop upon graduation
- Assists with activities in the den meetings
- Is a friend to the boys in the den
- Helps out at weekly den meetings and monthly pack meetings
- Meets with adult members of the den, pack, and Troop as necessary
Go to Leadership Application Page
Back to "Leading The Way..." Page